Anshen + Allen was founded by Bob Anshen and Steve Allen in San Francisco in 1940. The pair got their start designing California modern residences - custom-built and for merchant-builders like Joe Eichler and John Mackay. Their first project was the Davies House, a 6,000-square-foot (560 m2) Tudor Gothic inspired mansion in Woodside, California, commissioned by Ralph K. Davies, a senior vice-president of Standard Oil of California. Joseph Eichler, a residential real estate developer, commissioned Anshen + Allen to build the initial Eichler homes in the California Modernist style beginning in 1950. The firm continued to build tract housing until 1962.